Friday 7 September 2018

A Creature of Habit

I realised last night, as I stood under the shower watching mud run down the drain, that I have become that most mundane of things: a creature of habit.

How did this happen? I have never really been interested in set schedules or routines, I adhere to them because society demands it. Otherwise, I could care less.

When I thought about it, this whole 'routine' thing came about because of environmental factors. It is uber dusty here, and dry. My skin and hair forever have a fine grit of dirt, which is worse after a windy day or a lick run, even if I wear a beanie to keep the ick out of my hair. So I started doing particular 'beauty chores' on set days.

Hair used to be washed every week to ten days, and I never used conditoner. Not for nearly 5 years. Now I do: I still wash my hair in (homemade) soap, but I do it twice a week, and I condition both times.

My face still gets washed morning and night, moisturiser both ends of the day (sorbolene mixed with olive, rice bran and grapeseed oils) but I have segued from wipes in the morning to a face washer. I have a few, and their sole purpose is to wash my face in the morning. I still have wipes, I use them when we are travelling, and to take my makeup off when I wear it, before washing. Night face washing is done in the shower, with that homemade soap.

Mondays and Thursdays, I use a green tea and olive oil facial scrub (thank you Aldi). These are lick run days, so these are the days I do my hair, unless we are going into town the next day, then it's a Tuesday wash, and a blowdry. Grocery days are always Wednesday: Woolies have less pick-ups on Wednesdays.

Masks are weekly: usually Friday. I forgot tonight, because I was working, so will do it tomorrow night instead. I like to use a mask Friday because I won't be back on the lick run until Monday, so my skin gets 2 whole days to benefit from the goodies in the mask.

The only thing that hasn't changed is my sunscreen addiction. I've been sunscreening every day for 30+ years, and it is so ingrained, I forgot to add it here. Every day, no matter the weather, or the time I surface, I wash, moisturise and sunscreen every part of me that will be exposed to the sun; even in winter in Tasmania. Yes, it is possible to be THAT pathetic.

I am kind of enjoying having a routine; it helps me keep track of the days, which can be difficult out here. Plus, it makes me mindful of what I am doing, and I need to do that more.

2 comments:

  1. It must be so satisfying having a routine like this -I would love to be this organised! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa-hey! I can comment (Google took a long moment).

    I am not so much organised as lazy. But this works for me, at least for now. All I need now is to find something to treat my pigmentation (it's bad, very very bad), without moving. Both times I've had it happen, it has been in a similar climate/region....

    ReplyDelete